Li Gongyu, Doctor degree, Researcher, Research Center of Analytical Science,graduated from University of Science and Technology of China
Address：Research Center for Analytical Science, 94 Weijin Road, Nankai University, Tianjin
Research Interest：To ultimately provide molecular basis and next-generation therapeutics for human disease, Dr. Gongyu Li has long-standing research interests in the development and application of ultrafast separation-equipped mass spectrometry (MS) techniques capable of: 1) in situ identification, 2) rapid structural elucidation and 3) expedited functional interrogation of human disease-linked bioactive molecules, including differentially folded proteins/ neuropeptides/metabolites, directly from living cells or even fresh tissues. The most significant challenge is, however, how to remove intracellular and extracellular matrices surrounding target biomolecules without external perturbations on their native biological states, where the separation time scale should be as short as possible to maintain the biologically relevant structural information. To solve this problem, during his PhD career, Dr. Li has involved in the development of an ultrafast separation regime and integrated into nanospray, generating a new versatile ambient MS method (Li et al. Anal. Chem. 2016, 88, 10860-10866), and has demonstrated its utility for several protein systems directly from living cells (Li et al. Anal. Chem. 2018, 90, 3409-3415). In addition to contribution to the Ultrafast MS identification of native proteins, Gongyu also devoted himself in gas-phase protein structural interrogations, such as the development of a new regime for ion mobility-mass spectrometry (IM-MS)-based protein structural manipulations (Li et al. Anal. Chem. 2018, 90, 7997-8001). Dr. Li’s postdoc research work is focused on further expanding MS methodologies for better identification and structural interrogation of human health-linked bioactive molecules, ranging from native proteins, neuropeptides to metabolites. To this end, Gongyu has already developed a new millisecond ion mobility separation platform to investigate chiral effect of amyloid beta peptide and its implications in Alzheimer’s disease therapeutic development (Li et al. Nat. Commun. 2019, 10, 5038) and a nanosecond photochemical click chemistry method for rapid neuropeptide and protein structural analysis (Li et al. Nat. Commun. 2019, 10, 4697, Featured by Nature Communications Editors HIGHLIGHTS). Dr. Li’s research efforts, overall, have generated 4 grants, 7 fellowships/awards, 6 oral presentations and 29 scientific publications to date, including 2 Nat. Commun., 4 Anal. Chem., 1 Chem. Sci. and 1 Trends Anal. Chem. papers, along with 420+ citations.
2008.09-2012.06, Jiangxi Normal University, College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, B.S.
2012.09-2017.06, University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Ph.D.
2017.08-2021.01, University of Wisconsin-Madison, School of Pharmacy, Postdoctoral Research Associate
2016.04-2016.08, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Department of Chemistry, Visiting Student
2021.02 to now, Research Center for Analtyical Science, College of Chemistry, Nankai University, Tenure-tracking Assistant Professor
Honors and Awards
2019 ASMS Postdoctoral Career Development Award (ASMS, American Society for Mass Spectrometry);
Finalists for 2019 FACSS Innovation Award (FACSS: Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy Societies).
Scientific Achievements & Selected Publications
(1) Gongyu Li; Kellen DeLaney; Lingjun Li*; Molecular basis for chirality-regulated Aβ self-assembly and receptor recognition revealed by ion mobility-mass spectrometry, Nature Communications, 2019, 10(1): 5038.
(2) Gongyu Li; Fengfei Ma; Qinjingwen Cao; Zhen Zheng; Kellen DeLaney; Rui Liu; Lingjun Li*; Nanosecond photochemically promoted click chemistry for enhanced neuropeptide visualization and rapid protein labeling, Nature Communications, 2019, 10(1): 4697.
(3) Gongyu Li#; Shuihui Zheng#; Yuting Chen; Zhuanghao Hou; Guangming Huang*; Reliable Tracking In-Solution Protein Unfolding via Ultrafast Thermal Unfolding/Ion Mobility-Mass-Spectrometry , Analytical Chemistry, 2018, 90(13): 7997-8001.
(4) Gongyu Li#; Siming Yuan#; Shihui Zheng; Yangzhong Liu*; Guangming Huang*; In Situ Living Cell Protein Analysis by Single-Step Mass Spectrometry, Analytical Chemistry, 2018, 90(5): 3409-3415.
(5) Gongyu Li; Siming Yuan; Yang Pan; Yangzhong Liu; Guangming Huang*; Binding States of Protein-Metal Complexes in Cells , Analytical Chemistry, 2016, 8: 10860-10866.
The LimsLab @ NKU (Nankai University) is always open to collaborate with multidiciplinary researchers and has multiple opening positions for personnel with all-level research backgrounds, including Postdoc, PhD and undergruadate students. Please contact PI (Dr. Gongyu Li)